Friday, July 30, 2010

18th SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME (C)


Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.
Lk 12:13-21

Luke 12:13-34 gathers the teaching of Jesus regarding one’s attitudes in front of the goods of this world. This Sunday mentions only two teachings: (a) 13-15 is a warning on greed; and (b) 16-21 is the parable about the rich fool.

v. 13. Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me."

Rabbis were sought out to settle criminal, civil, religious and moral disputes.

v. 14. He replied to him, "Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?"

Jesus refuses to assume a temporal role. “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s….”
He differentiates himself from Moses who acted as leader and judge among the Israelites.

v. 15. Then he said to the crowd, "Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."

The reason why Jesus does not allow himself to get involved in questions about money is that it is not the source of life.

v. 17. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?'

In Luke’s parables, the characters often engage in monologues. See the Prodigal Son (Lk 15: 17-19).

v. 19.And I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!"

The literal translation would be: “And I shall say to myself , ‘My soul, you have so many good things….”
In the OT, souls refers to the whole person.

v. 20. But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you.”

The identity of the agent is understood. It is God who will demand his life from him. It means this night you will die.

v. 21. Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.

Being rich in what matters to God is the same as laying up for yourself treasure in heaven. This is the teaching of the parable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.